Sunday, April 21, 2013

In Memory Of

Joan has passed on. The very next day, after she fell into a coma.

We are not that close but we have shared a lot of memories together. I was so sad, I still am. She's still young and with her personality, she could have touched more lives. But I guess, her journey ends here. Though it hurts to let her go, we must. As cliche as it may sound, she is in a much better place now.

She was my total opposite. She's very friendly and sociable. She never runs out of things to do with different friends. Her love life is colorful. She kept a lot of secrets. She was strong-willed and had a lot of courage.

Even so, never once did she make me feel less of myself. She respected my weird habits and though she made fun of me from time to time, I never took any of her jokes personally.

I am embarrassed to shed tears because as I said, we are not what you can call "close." But the past few days that I have spent during her wake, seeing old friends and acquaintances made me realize that we may not have the kind of relationship which permits us to tell each other's deep dark secrets, we had managed to form a bond. Those memories of drinking together and doing stupid things together (even if I am just an observer) will always connect her to me. She may not have been aware, but she had touched my life in a way or two.

Looking at all those people who visited to see her for the last time, she had shown me the importance of gathering friends and interacting with people. Joan's ray of sunshine had somewhat touched all those who, like myself, have been trying their best to hold back their tears. Because no matter how long or short the time spent together, no matter how close or far apart people are to her - all of us have at least one good memory of her.

Rest in Peace Joan Baccay. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment